Himalaya

It was a true blessing to leave the chaotic and turbulent cities of the dusty Punjab plains behind me and get into the beautiful mountains of the Himalaya's. During my 3 week stay I visited the more touristy places and some lesser known towns and villages. Everywhere I was welcomed warmly and I spent as much time talking to strangers who invited me in their home or shop, than I was travelling around. I met Tibetan refugees in Dharamsala, got stoned by sitting in the tiny room that 4 ganja - smoking saddhu's shared in Mandi (I don't smoke myself, but I smoked passively and their drugs were so strong that I left the room probably more stoned than they were, it took me nearly 2 hours to find the way to my hotel again - many men smoke ganja in India and the'holy men' are usually no exception) and joined the religious festival near Renuka Lake. Rishikesh was probably my favourite spot. A town with as many temples as there are holy cows, set against a backdrop of the mighty Himalaya Range. It is here that the Ganges, India's holiest river, colours a magic turquoise. I spent many hours watching the people make offerings to the River Goddess, bath themselves and wash away their sins in the clear blue waters.

No comments: